Consent can be understood as a clear and unambiguous agreement, expressed through words and actions, to engage in a particular activity. When consent is not asked, expressed, and adhered to, boundaries get crossed and interpersonal relationships are affected.
This can lead to individual’s experiencing sexual harassment at workplace. Informed consent helps to acknowledge and respect an individual’s boundaries. Understanding consent is crucial to creating a safe and respectful work environment. In addition to having a psycho-social understanding of consent, it then becomes important to understand laws and policies which govern social and inter-personal behavior. Accordingly, we will cover the following:
- Understanding Consent and it’s significance in day to day life
- Situations that make it difficult to communicate Consent
- Role of Consent in creating healthy interpersonal relationships
- Creating a culture of consent to prevent sexual harassment at workplace
- Interpretation of Consent in civil and criminal laws of India
- Understanding Consent across international legislations